Modularity should not be a goal but be a means to achieve flexibility, adaptability, easy re-configurability and quick prototyping of bespoke robot systems. The workshop aims are:
- To provide a state of the art on service robot modularity from research and standardisation viewpoints
- To involve European researchers and companies in the ISO TC184/SC2/WG10 (Modularity for service robots) standardisation work and highlight the relevance of contributions from the European robotics community.
- To create a medium for open discussion on robot modularity between the TG Standardisation, European research community, robotics companies and WG10.
- To understand how industry benefited from modularity standards in other areas, (e.g., computing, automotive, telecommunications)
- To tackle “buy-in” resistance from some EU companies with regards to open robot modularity standards.